Thursday, January 22, 2009

Laugh, Cold and Flu Season

"A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal and the common cold." -- Ogden Nash


Since we are in the midst of cold and flu season, I thought I would share a few funnies from some of our family's sick days. They do say that laughter is good medicine, after all.

When Joe went to the emergency room on a Sunday morning last spring with stomach pains, 6-year-old Christian told his Bible class that his daddy was in the hospital because he broke his back and bottom. When we got the diagnosis, Christian announced to his kindergarten class at school that his daddy was in the hospital because he had just had his dog bladder removed. (Joe has healed quite nicely from his gall bladder surgery.)

Five-year-old Mary Ashley was annoying younger sister, Emma, by repeating everything she said. Finally, 2-year-old Emma was sick of it and snapped back: "Mary, stop coughing me!"

I recently overheard 7-year-old Christian in the back seat of the van supposing that boys are healthier than girls because girls have those things that stick out from their stomachs and they must be full of germs. (Yes, my son, you are absolutely correct.)

Five-year-old Mary Ashley recently had the hiccups when she needed to take some medicine. "Oh, Mommy," she drawled, "I'm sorry. I just can't stop hicking!"

When Christian was 4, he was famished after a nasty stomach virus and begged for chocolate chip cookies. I wasn't sure his little tummy was ready for that, but we were discussing it when suddenly he burst out of the room. I found him in the bathroom, where he had thrown up all over the floor and walls. I stood there stunned at the site, and Christian turned around and asked sincerely, "Mom, can I still have cookies? I'm not sick."

A couple of years ago Joe and Mary Ashley were snuggled up together with the flu. Three-year-old Mary Ashley felt so bad that she didn't say a word for hours. When she could finally muster the energy to speak, she looked Joe over carefully and asked with disdain, "Daddy, what are you wearing?" He laughed at her critique of his fleece pull-over and told her she could dress him for his next sick day.

I hope you are happy and healthy today! If you have any lighter moments to share from your family's sick days, please share them in the comments section.

14 comments:

Sandy Toes said...

We always seem to be sick in early part of Spring..I can go all winter (or most of it) but then March hits and we get everything!
-sandy toe

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

When my youngest was sick once, she was lying on her little "sick bed" in the family room, looking all pitiful and exhausted, but she insisted on wearing a purple beaded necklace and tiara. That's my girl! :) A Princess no matter what!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

No one sick here, but your family's quotes are so cute!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rebecca said...

We are dealing with stomach issues with Brooks right now. I told him to not drink milk and to only pick juice at school for the rest of the week. He said, "Ok.....what about chocolate milk?" He was heartbroken to learn that choc. milk is still milk.

Heidi said...

Funny....

Well, I have been sick since last Friday and now the kids are sick with croup. So I have STILL not done any laundry. Just have not felt like it. I have had to go to work wearing anything I can find. I just come home to the sofa and then drag mysef out of bed in the morning.
So Buddy kept the kids home today and as I am getting dressed I find this 20 year old jummper in my closet that makes me look like I belong on a compound somewhere with a long braid or bun in my hair. By the way, my hair is pulled strait back harshly into a ponytail and I am wearing no makeup. Anyway, Lily asks me "mommy, what do you call that exactly? that thing you are wearing"?

And boy do I remember that flu season. was that last year or the year before when it went around so badly and everyone was getting it?

elaine said...

Cute little stories...thank-you for sharing. One episode that stands out in my memory happened on an afternoon 18 years ago. I was laying on the couch with a violent pounding headache and nothing in the house to take for it, when my (then) 3 year old son Tom touched a tear rolling out the side of my eye. "Mama why you have tears?" I reached for his little hand and said..."I'll be ok honey, it's just that my head hurts bad." He put his little hand on my forehead to see if I was hot and he said ..."awww, let me kiss you all better." He pressed his lips on my forehead and said "There!" I remember closing my eyes and thinking to myself ->Yeah sure - I WISH!<- But, instantly I DID feel better. I felt like all the pressure was just gone. I still laid there thinking it would come right back like a wave. Shortly I got up and made dinner. I didn't realize the power of that little kiss until I woke up the next morning after a good nights rest. He really did kiss my pain away.

Laura said...

Great stories! I don't have any to share that I can think of, but I will never forget Wayne having the flu on New Year's Eve 1999! It was absolutely NO fun ringing in the new millenium by myself!

bfs ~ "Mimi" said...

Know that old saying "Out of the mouths of babes...." ?

Yes, we know it! It's wonderful! Spectacular! Unexpected! Innocent!

I so love listening to children.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

oh my goodness I laughed outloud at the germs on the ladies comment (and YOUR subsequent comment - which was possibly just as funny, if not more so!)

aaah...needed this. Illness and Funny. A good combo.

Much love,
~k

God's Princess said...

Hi, I just stumbled across your blog and thought I'd say lovely blog! Keep up the good work, you are providing a great resource for homemaking ladies on the internet.

Melina :-)

http://theartofbeingfeminine.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

Imagine the chuckles you will share with your children, over these cute comments, when they are all grown up.

elaine said...

Dear Melissa, I should have signed my name as Rosanna Rosannadanna because I was on a roll and completely veered off the keyword "humor". Actually I find that kind of funny ...lol. If you are too young to know Gilda's character.....nevermind!

Debbie said...

Those are GREAT! Laughed the whole way through...We've been pretty healthy and I'm hoping to stay that way...

Anonymous said...

Sharp tools make good work.

6hUdq http://www.cheapuggbootsan.com/
kNsc http://www.michaelkorsoutletez.com/
kCub http://www.cheapfashionshoesam.com/
8nFxn http://www.burberryoutletxi.com/
7xZjr http://www.nflnikejerseysshopxs.com/
4kDdo http://www.coachfactoryoutlesa.com/
7mKab 1yBiz 5lGyj 8pGyx 8oNny 6hCbw 1uRhe 2aXup 4iHrl

Blog Widget by LinkWithin