Thursday, January 22, 2009

Laugh, Cold and Flu Season

"A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal and the common cold." -- Ogden Nash


Since we are in the midst of cold and flu season, I thought I would share a few funnies from some of our family's sick days. They do say that laughter is good medicine, after all.

When Joe went to the emergency room on a Sunday morning last spring with stomach pains, 6-year-old Christian told his Bible class that his daddy was in the hospital because he broke his back and bottom. When we got the diagnosis, Christian announced to his kindergarten class at school that his daddy was in the hospital because he had just had his dog bladder removed. (Joe has healed quite nicely from his gall bladder surgery.)

Five-year-old Mary Ashley was annoying younger sister, Emma, by repeating everything she said. Finally, 2-year-old Emma was sick of it and snapped back: "Mary, stop coughing me!"

I recently overheard 7-year-old Christian in the back seat of the van supposing that boys are healthier than girls because girls have those things that stick out from their stomachs and they must be full of germs. (Yes, my son, you are absolutely correct.)

Five-year-old Mary Ashley recently had the hiccups when she needed to take some medicine. "Oh, Mommy," she drawled, "I'm sorry. I just can't stop hicking!"

When Christian was 4, he was famished after a nasty stomach virus and begged for chocolate chip cookies. I wasn't sure his little tummy was ready for that, but we were discussing it when suddenly he burst out of the room. I found him in the bathroom, where he had thrown up all over the floor and walls. I stood there stunned at the site, and Christian turned around and asked sincerely, "Mom, can I still have cookies? I'm not sick."

A couple of years ago Joe and Mary Ashley were snuggled up together with the flu. Three-year-old Mary Ashley felt so bad that she didn't say a word for hours. When she could finally muster the energy to speak, she looked Joe over carefully and asked with disdain, "Daddy, what are you wearing?" He laughed at her critique of his fleece pull-over and told her she could dress him for his next sick day.

I hope you are happy and healthy today! If you have any lighter moments to share from your family's sick days, please share them in the comments section.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin