Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fairy Princess 1st Birthday Party

I don't have digital pictures from Mary Ashley's first birthday, but her birthday invitation and the favor boxes I made serve as mementos of her fairy princess coronation.

And what a princess Mary Ashley was at her party! She held court in our sitting room, opening gifts from each family member one by one. She sat like a little lady, smiling graciously and saying "day-doo" for each present. And when she ate her cake -- a strawberry cake covered in pink buttercream icing roses -- she nibbled so daintily that she didn't even get her party dress dirty! It was a magical night celebrating a precious little girl.

For directions on making fabric-covered boxes, see this post. For this party, I glued a picture of the birthday girl in the underside of the lid. Sweet little petit fours tucked inside the boxes made nice take-home treats.

Mary Ashley's birthday invitation -- embellished with tiny paper roses, ribbons and pearls -- is one of my all-time favorites. The poem I wrote for the occasion is reprinted here.

In the hush of winter beneath glistening snow

Enchantment and merriment mingle below.

Deep within the garden under canopy of flowers

The fairy kingdom gathers to while away the hours.

With glittering costumes and delicate wings,

Gentle fairies frolic, make music and sing.

Cake made of roses? -- Don't mind if I do.

A butterfly kiss? -- Why, I think I'll have two!

Hearts are alight, and fairies take flight

For our sweet Mary Ashley is 1 tonight!

Wishes come true by the King's proclamation

As dancing fairies gather to make exclamation:

"There's nothing so magical, lovely and grand

As a royal celebration in Fairy Land!"


Becky Welch said...

WOW! Can you plan MY next birthday party?

The Southern Housewife said...

Gorgeous yet again! :)

Anonymous said...

I love all your daughters bows. Can you tell us how to make them, please?

Melissa Lester said...

Oh, I love a big southern hairbow! I will plan to post a tutorial on making those soon.

Sandy Toes said...

I think that is the most beautiful invitation I have ever seen! Wow!
-sandy toe

julie & joe said...

You make the most beautiful invitations and party things!

Meredith Teagarden said...

That poem was so sweet it has me teary eyed. Mary Ashley is LOVED like every little princess should be. Just beautiful and whimsical words to describe the occasion!

Meredith Teagarden said...

I could not resist passing you a fun award! I hope you enjoy it :).

The Quintessential Magpie said...

And her children shall rise up and call her blessed... that's YOU, Melissa. They are so blessed to have you in their lives. You win the Mother of the Year Award!


Sheila :-)

Amanda said...

precious! love your blog.

bfs ~ "Mimi" said...

Wonderful! Delightful!

Our Complete Family said...

I just love your posts full of sweet ideas. And the way you showcase your precious kiddos in those collages. AMAZING!
Is there a photo site you use to make the collages like Flickr? I'd love to hear how you do it!
Happy TGIF day to you~ Leslie

henzy said... cute..the picture and the invites..simply adorable

Ashley said...

Precious!! I love the invites!! And everything else!!

elaine said...

The way you paint your words is really quite magical to imagine. Thank-you for taking me to a place I never knew exisited...or maybe I was here once upon a time but I forgot as I grew taller.

Felicia Eis said...

Thank you for all the lovely ideas!! I want to do a party for my girly's first birthday and with all the ideas I think I might be able to come up with something special! Now I just have to figure out how to make my ideas travel (we don't live near family :() and for them all to be pretty cheap :).

Thank you for being such a blessing to those around you!!!

Lynnie said...

Where did you get Mary ashleys fairy outfit I love it my daughter will be 1 in march and I would love a similiar out fit also could u please write a birthday poem for my little angel I had a miscarrige before her and while pregnant with her they thought we lost her multiple times but she was persistant and hung on and I wanted a special personalized poem for her birthday invitation and cannot write poetry your birthday poems are so sweet

catalogo puertas metalicas said...

Wow, there is a lot of worthwhile material above!

Vaughn said...

Amazon com: Kid Galaxy My 1st RC"" Monster Truck: Toys & Games" Juggernarts free online is a for kids are the most fun games play it at Now Gamez ABCya com Kids Educational Computer Games & Activities Sign up to get all the free.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin