Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Shopping the Pink Aisles

Although my husband thinks I fall short on gift buying for the boys (too "fundumacational," he would criticize), I think he would admit that buying for the girls comes naturally. Although we have our share of traditional baby dolls and Barbies filling the toy box, here are a few of my more unique finds discovered shopping the pink aisles.

Mary Ashley will feel so grown-up dressing herself with this paper doll custom made by Anklebiters. Simply e-mail a photo of a little girl or boy to the artist for a unique personalized gift. The only dilemma is whether to frame the paper doll or let the child play with it.



This Kelly Rightsell embroidered pillow caught my eye at a local childrens shop. I bought a similar one for the boys' room several years ago, so it seemed only fitting to get one for the girls, too. You can find more Kelly Rightsell art prints and products on her web site.



Emma got this sweet Tea Party Game for Christmas, and we girls have loved playing it. To begin the game, you place a teapot spinner in the center of the cloth napkin included with the game. Players take turns spinning, and the first one to collect all the items needed for the tea party wins. This game is a delightful way to spend a civilized afternoon with preschoolers. I have seen this eeBoo game at boutique toy stores, but ours came from Amazon.com.



My best girlfriend, Vonda, introduced me to Fancy Nancy a couple of years ago, and this series of books by Jane O'Connor has become a family favorite. Along with the story books, you can also find Fancy Nancy dolls, toys and games at a variety of retailers. We'll be getting fancy for Mary Ashley's 5th birthday party, so look for details on that in the days to come!



My girls will look forward to rainy days so they will have an opportunity carry these pretty polka dotted umbrellas purchased at Books-a-Million. I love the trim detail on the edge of the fabric, and the girls like the pretty green accents.


20 comments:

maryanne420 said...

oh my goodness! how blessed are your girls to have a creative mama and have a great eye for gift giving. those are all just precious.

Vonda Chalfant said...

Fancy Nancy is still a favorite at our house! I can't wait to hear what you have planned for Mary Ashley's fancy party! Miss you!

Vonda

Graham Shenanigans said...

My neices love Fancy Nancy too. I can barely stand to wait for the creativity and detail of the fancy party! You constantly out-do yourself!

Sandy Toes said...

We are big FANCY NANCY people here!!!! I am going to look for that tea party game today. I am going to a special toy store to pick up a gift for my daughters b-day! THANK YOU!!
-sandy toe

Tracy said...

Such cute things, but the pillowcase is divine!

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

I agree - Christmas shopping for the girls was done in minutes...it's the boys that are tricky. :)

Carly Winborne said...

we're huge fans of Fancy Nancy, too! although, i've never seen the tea party game. adorable! i'll be hunting for that one, for sure.

looking forward to the party pics! i can only imagine...

Becky Welch said...

lovely ideas! We LOVE Fancy Nancy!!

Jennifer P. said...

Oh my stars! I LOVE that bunny pillow! Nowhere to put something like that in a boy house, but I LOVE looking at it :)

Jennifer Driver said...

I was planning on getting the tea party game for Mary Ashley or Emma for Christmas, but didn't get it ordered in time! Guess we must think alike! :)

bfs ~ "Mimi" said...

What sweet gifts!!

I hope you are having a beautiful day in the Lord. ♥

Judy said...

Taylor and her MiMi are so excited about coming to our very first Fancy Nancy birthday party! I can't wait to see all the fabulous-ness (that IS a word) you've dreamed up. Taylor said she wants to buy Mary Ashley a "crown" for her b'day....we'll have to see what other surprises the gift fairy brings!

See you soon!
Judy

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

I love Fancy Nancy! We are planning a Fancy Nancy party for my daughter's 6th birthday next month, so I look forward to seeing what you do for Mary Ashley.

sweeter and the bubbas said...

Ann Welch got a polka dotted umbrella from Books a Million too!! She LOVES it. She wants to play with it too much... The paper dolls are classic. I remember playing with paper dolls as a child...great memories!! :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, such wonderful cuteness!

I love Kelly Rightsell. I bought my little godchild Hattie (the frog), and they've had to take her to be stiched back together, she's tattered and loved, but Cecelia refuses to be parted from her! She and her brother also have some of the Kelly Rightsell prints for their rooms.

Loved looking at your pretties, and that paper doll is precious! Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rebecca said...

Girls toys are just better! I love all of your latest finds including the fact that the bunnies on the pillow have on smocked dresses. So cute!

Our Complete Family said...

Darling collages again hun!
I agree~ girl shopping is so much easier than boy shopping!
And as for that umbrella...I'd love rainy days if mine was that pretty!
Hugs, Les

T. Brodie said...

I was just introduced to Fancy Nancy this past summer by the flower girl at my sister's wedding. What fun finds fo the girls!

Meredith Teagarden said...

You and I would have a great time shopping. Love it all!

Heidi said...

Lily love Fancy Nancy too. We got Bonjour Butterfly last week and at Costco and ran in today and got Posh puppy .... They have them for $10 there and they are normally $18I believe. Unless you can find these titles in paperback and I don't believe you can. I did see some new titles in scholastic for $4 which I have on order for her.

Everything looks so creative. I love the teaparty game. Where did that one come from? did it say? maybe I need to go back and look:-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin