Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Book Nooks

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -- Charles W. Eliot

My kids love the thrill of visiting the book fair at school; a trip to the local library is always a fun outing; and a great reward is a trip to the local bookstore. But the internet brings us even more opportunities to encourage our children to read and even write stories of their own. Here are a few interesting sites I have discovered:

  • Preschoolers will enjoy exploring Lookybook to view picture books at no cost. They can even make their own bookshelf to display their favorite titles.
  • Check out the Internet Public Library's Kidspace for links to web sites meant to enhance children's enjoyment of favorite storybook characters.
  • Kids of all ages will find something worthwhile on Big Universe. Free options include creating and sharing books online. Animated graphics make the writing process even more fun. For a membership fee, print your own stories and read other books online.
  • Budding authors will enjoy Tikatok, where they can write and edit stories online. Upload scanned artwork to enhance the story, or mail artwork to the company. Publish the books for a fee.
  • A number of retailers sell illuStory kits to help children make their own books. Amazon stocks several varieties here.
  • Featured on Oprah and The Today Show, Pajama Program distributes new books and PJs to underprivileged children. For more information, visit the web site.

9 comments:

Sandy Toes said...

We love books here!! Thanks for all the great ideas...we will check them out!
sandy toe

Lady Laura said...

These are great resources! Thanks for sharing them.-Laura

Lisa said...

Great resources! Thanx for sharing!
PS I'm lovin' that tea cup.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Very informative post! I will remember this for my little friends.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Melissa, thank you for sharing all of these websites. I called my daughter, with three preschoolers and told her to visit your blog. That is very helpful information. The tea cup is so unusual, and very pretty. Once again, it was a treat to visit your blog.

Anonymous said...

I love Big Universe's create feature! Their read selection is pretty cool too.

T. Brodie said...

Or... you can pay Carson a quarter and he will write and illustrate a book for you! That's what he did when in my class!

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

I've noticed since I've started blogging I am not reading as many "curl up in bed" type books. I miss it, and love to read with my kids.

I am completely laughing at your hubby's comment. Tell him, I have been yard saling every Saturday for a decade, so don't set the $5 bar. I have gotten some gorgeous pieces of furniture though. Last summer, I bought a 1924 side bar in mint condition at a yard sale for $100. Her parents owned a antique store and had it priced for $650. When they closed it, she stored it but then just wanted it gone. I've passed up deals like that before because I was in a "yard sale" mentality and not a quality antique mentality. No more. I snatch them up now. :)

Brenda Leyland said...

AHa... I see in your photo Alexandra Stoddard's book perched beneath your tea cup..... she's one of my favourites when it comes to discovering how to live a beautiful life.

Love your site.... it's truly lovely!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin