Friday, March 27, 2009

Creativity Blooms ...

When Grandma comes to town! We have flowers in profusion since my grandmother spent the night with us. She loves painting and was happy to give the children an art lesson the afternoon she arrived.



Watching her interact with my children brings back so many fond memories of the times I spent sewing and painting with Grandma during my childhood. She helped fuel my creative passions.



Our masterpieces (clockwise from top left corner): Carson's blue vase holds flowers for Mom; Mary Ashley picked up quickly on Grandma's instructions on painting petals, resulting in a pretty bouquet of blue flowers; Emma was quite decisive in choosing what to paint, resulting in a picture that looks like an impressionist landscape to me; and Christian's rose bush was a request from me, after he completed his first piece: a slightly less sentimental sign for his bedroom that reads "If your name is Mary Ashley KEEP OUT!" I will treasure the bouquet (center) that Grandma painted, as well as the memories of seeing my children gathered around the kitchen table to paint with her -- each stroke of the brush drawing them closer to one of the most precious people in my life.

"What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies." -- Rudolph Giuliani

14 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

How lovely! I think each and everyone of those paintings are a masterpiece in and of themselves. So pretty. They should all be put into frames and proudly displayed.

You are so lucky to have been blessed with a wonderful grandmother. I never once got to spend the night with my grandma. Nor did she ever bake cookies with us, tell stories to us or teach us anything. She was not very fond of children and believed that children should be seen and not heard. Not the best grandmother a kid could have...that's for sure.

Hugs,
Joanne

Faye said...

MELISA,THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!YOU ARE SO BLESSED TO STILL HAVE GRANDMA!I WILL BE LEAVING ARTER WHILE TO GO SEE THE GRANDS! I WILL BE BACK SUNDAY!HAVE A GREAT WEEKENG. BLESSINGS FROM FAYE

Sandy Toes said...

Wow...she is good~
sandy toe

Ariadone said...

Dear Melissa,
What I reed, over here in the Netherlands, is a lovesong to both your dear and gifted Grandmother, your children and your personal historic lifelines.
How wonderful. Thank you for reminding us how precious life and togetherness is.
My mother in love(law) will be 96 in july; she showed our children her collection of stones gathered on her many travels; by now she does not remember their names anymore, does not know them immediately when they come to visit, but after we all sit down having coffee of thee she is ever so kind and starts telling us about her lifes events. We pray we have her for a few more years.
Love to you, Melissa and to your Grandmother greetings.
Ariadone
Godeliva

Love Being a Nonny said...

No wonder you are so creative. Your grandmother...what a gift!

Tina Foster said...

Dear Mary Ashley, Emma, Carson and Christian,
You did very well on your paintings. Mary Ashley, I love your bouquet of flowers. Emma, I love your painting. You are an artistic young lady. Carson, I love the flowers you painted. And Christian, I think your rose bush is very beautiful. Tell your Grandmother that she did a very, very good job on her bouquet of flowers.
Love,
Anna Grace Foster

Homeschool Dawn said...

These are all so beautiful. How precious, and what a special memory for all of you. I love the quote, too.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a precious time together!! I love everyone's paintings, and I'm sure that y'all will remember this afternoon forever! :)

Melanie said...

Just Beautiful! What a blessing to have Grandma in their lives. I treasure all of my memories with my Grandma. Each memory holds a special life lesson...enjoy life and let your creativity bloom! Oh, I miss her!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
Melanie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Precious post, Melissa. I miss my grandmother more than I can say and look forward to the day in Heaven that I'm reunited with her for eternity!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Live.Love.Eat said...

That's so wonderful to have your Grandma, and she's so creative. No surprise it runs deep in your fam!

Robyn said...

I have fond childhood memories of painting with my Grandy as a child. She too is one of the many reasons for my creativity.

Tracy said...

I love that painting! It is so pretty & the colors are outstanding. :)

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

What a precious, precious time!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin