Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring Teacher Basket


A sweet little bird heralds the arrival of spring for Christian's first grade teacher. Packed into a hat box, I hope this simple menu of chicken casserole, fruit salad, banana bread and chocolate chip cookies gave Mrs. Morrison extra time to relax on a busy weeknight.


Chicken Casserole

3 cups cooked chicken, diced (3 to 4 chicken breasts)
1 box long grand and wild rice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can French style green beans, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
1 stick margarine, melted

Use chicken broth to cook rice according to package directions. Let most of the liquid cook out. Mix all ingredients through soup and place in a greased 9x13-inch casserole dish. Top with crushed cracker crumbs and melted margarine. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. May freeze before baking. Serves 6 to 8.


8 comments:

A Touch of Country said...

sounds yummy! I will have to try it...in fact, for tonite's supper I cooked up extra chicken for later in the week....now I read your post and know what I am going to do with it!

angela said...

What size box of rice do I use?

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That box looks so beautiful!! I bet she loved it! You are so kind and thoughtful!!!

Randi said...

What an amazing gift for the teacher ... she was blessed, I'm sure!

Melanie said...

I always love to see your gift baskets! So beautiful and thoughtful!

The recipe sounds yummy!

Melanie said...

I always love to see your gift baskets! So beautiful and thoughtful!

The recipe sounds yummy!

Judi said...

That is a wonderful gift...such lovely presentation...lucky teacher and thoughtful you.
have a lovely evening
Judi

Live.Love.Eat said...

What a beautiful gift.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin