Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Heart at Home

On my recent trip to Calhoun, Ga., Deana Brannan served as my gracious host. This cozy vignette was a welcoming sight when Mary Ashley and I arrived at her home Friday night.

With comfortable chairs, blankets and a blazing fire, this scene reminded me of one of my favorite illustrations from the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. Weaver was moved by Robert Boyd Munger's article "My Heart Christ's Home," in which Munger talked about welcoming the Lord into his heart and giving Him a tour.

Munger says the two paused in the library of his mind and stepped in to see the workshop of his talents. Willing to be completely vulnerable, Munger even showed the Lord his messy hall closet of secrets. But it was in the drawing room that the two felt most at home. They decided to meet there daily. The communion of their prayer and Bible study was so sweet that soon the two began calling their meeting place the "withdrawing room."

But as worldly demands pressed in, Munger found himself skipping appointments with the Lord from time to time. Setting aside time for prayer and Bible study became increasingly difficult, and before too long he found he never entered the withdrawing room anymore.

Munger reveals, "I remember one morning when I was in a hurry. ... As I passed the drawing room, the door was ajar. Looking in I saw a fire in the fireplace and the Lord sitting there. ... 'Blessed Master, forgive me. Have You been here all these mornings?"

The Lord's poignant response: "The trouble with you is this: You have been thinking of the quiet time, of the Bible study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that this hour means something to Me also."

Joanna Weaver, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World (Colorado Springs: WaterBrook Press, 2000), 71-73.

10 comments:

Cottage Cozy said...

So true...at times we can get so caught up in making the right time and saying the proper prayers and finding the best spot for our quiet time, that we miss out on it all together. It is the heart that matters most not the home...and thanks so much for reminding me that the Lord looks forward to that time with us and we miss it He does too!

Blessings

Debbie said...

A quiet Amen from my little corner of the world and a grateful "thank you" for the reminder.

Susan said...

Love that line about "skipping appointments with the Lord," Melissa. Always enjoy your beautiful posts. Hope your day goes well. I think I'm due to make an appointment! Thanks for the reminder. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

mary beth said...

Those were convicting words this morning! I have been running on empty for days...must stop and fill up right now! Thanks for sharing with us, and blessings on your day!

Love Being a Nonny said...

He so graciously reminds us to slow down and savor the moments with our Lord. Thanks!

Jan said...

Hi,
Saw your blog on Tea With Friends. Saw this and thought of you.
http://stuartmarket.blogspot.com/

(I'm a freelance writer and mama of 5, homeschooling my last 3. Not in that order!)

Let me know whatcha think.
janudlock@gmail.com

The Southern Housewife said...

Wow. This post really spoke to me as I've been not so diligent in my prayer time. it never occured to me that He looked forward to meeting with me as well. I always just assumed the time was for me to grow closer to Him and not vice versa. Amazing words.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, We studied this chapter of the book just this past Monday in my Bible Study group.

Isn't God amazing? I only know you through your blog and now you are discussing the same book I am studying. When these coincidences happen I am in awe of how God works.

I think of Jesus being our good friend. He calls on the telephone so we can chat with Him. We say sorry I can't talk today. I am too busy. So He keeps calling daily and we keep telling Him we are too busy. This must hurt Him terribly. Think how you would feel if you call your best friend and they keep telling you they don't have time to talk because of the busyness in their life. You would probably eventually give up but Jesus never gives up on us. He loves us too much.

I love the Mary and Martha book. I am going to try really hard to apply the things I am learning into my life.

Thanks for sharing , Melissa. Debbi

sonja said...

Melissa:

I had just posted something from the same booklet, Bob Muger was a close family frind growing up. Here it is:

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/

Blessins!

Sonja

myletterstoemily said...

something i needed to hear.

sounds like a lovely, inspiring
book.

blessings,
lea

Blog Widget by LinkWithin