Wednesday, March 31, 2010

An Heirloom Dress for Emma

I still need to make a slip for Emma's Easter dress, but I wanted to give you a sneak peak of my progress so far.

Earlier this year, I was thrilled to learn that my local sewing shop was offering a full-day class with Michie' Mooney. Highly regarded in the heirloom sewing community, Michie' has her own line of patterns; she teaches for the Martha Pullen School of Art Fashion; and her work is featured regularly in sewing and embroidery magazines.

Joe was out of town on the day of the class, but a sweet friend generously agreed to watch my children until class adjourned. I went to the sewing shop right away to register for the class and purchase my materials. I was stunned to learn it was already full. I joked afterward that crumpling onto the floor and sobbing uncontrollably must have worked; days later a spot opened up and I was able to join the class. (I didn't really cry in Beth's, but it is quite possible that I danced around my kitchen just a little when I found out I could participate after all.)

We had a choice of two Creations by Michie' patterns to construct for the class, and I chose the Heirloom Dress (#124-L). Reading over the pattern instructions the night before, I began to wonder if I had gotten in over my head. But as class began the next morning, Michie' assured all of us that she would walk us through each technique. And she did! She was a patient and easygoing teacher who put the class at ease. In the course of the day, I learned how to do pin tucks, lace shaping, lace insertion and bullion roses.

I plan to photograph Emma at Jasmine Hill Gardens this spring, so look for the completed heirloom dress soon. To browse heirloom patterns for beginning to experienced seamstresses, visit Creations by Michie'. For heirloom sewing tips and pattern variations, visit Michie's blog.

To read last year's sentimental letter to Mary Ashley on the true meaning of an heirloom garment, revisit "Notes on a Dress" here.

21 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, I so look forward to seeing this beauty!!!! Have a great week and most wonderful weekend, dear friend! Happy Easter :)

Sandy said...

I bet Emma's dress will be stunning because you are an excellent seamstress.

Teacup Lane (Sandy)

Ariadone said...

Beautiful. In your hands so sweet loving. Yes, I remember the letter from last year, since I just found your blog. And then I was able to perceive your books ( sent over from America to me here in The netherlands ) and I love visiting your blog.
Have a good week with all Easter preparations. I look forward to your beautiful girl wearing her Easter dress.
Lieve groeten
Godeliva van Ariadone

Anonymous said...

I know your Emma will be the most beautiful girl on Easter Sunday. Have fun making memories for her.

Happy Easter. Debbi

Jan said...

Emma's dress is beautiful! I can't wait to see more of it. Michie is not only talented, but so very sweet! Love her patterns! Lucky you to take a class with her!

Rach said...

Looks beautiful already! Can't wait to see the rest!

Michie' Mooney said...

Melissa, Your dress is beautiful! I thought that you were the same Melissa from class at Beth's. Thanks for letting me know for sure. Your blog is lovely!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

OH! It is beautiful. I am so excited about my Amanda Jane pleater that arrived yesterday! I want to start smocking for our future grandbabies :o) None yet, but I think I can get started and set aside for that time.

Blessings & Aloha!
(I have been out of town so am just now catching up on blog reading! Yay for a mid week day off! have to catch up on housecleaning and drawing orders too...If you get a chance, do come by :o)

Sue Sparks said...

So delicate, feminine, and GORGEOUS! What a talent you have!

dmills said...

I too took this class. In fact they had to have a second class because the first one filled up so quickly. I made my youngest granddaughter a dress at that class. I really learned a lot and I look at her blog on a daily basis.

Sewconsult said...

So pretty. The buillion roses are so sweet.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Julie said...

Hello Melissa,

I have been a fan of your blog but haven't commented until today. I just have to tell you that your blog is such a blessing to me. Every post is thoughtful and edifying. I look forward to "checking in" every day and secretly hope that you have a short story or delightful idea to share. Thank you for bringing such beauty to this place on the web....for all to enjoy!

Martha said...

Just beautiful and perfect for Easter. I too am a fan of Michie's patterns. Love the tucks with the tiny rosebuds down the center.

Leah in Iowa said...

Such a beautiful dress! Well done!

I have been reading your blog for quite awhile, but have never commented. Just wanted you to know I'm delurking. =) You have such a gift! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us in pictures.

экскурсии в барселоне said...

This won't truly have success, I think this way.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://multibars.ru/multibar-skachat-besplatno.html]мультибар для windows 7[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://printerservis.ru/magazin/folder/1045496001]Картриджи лазерные Hp[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://xn-----6kcbbgxaarn3ddsqcj3bt0g.xn--p1ai/]тут[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ekolestnica.ru/tag/balyasiny-perm]балясины пермь[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.opticmarket.ru/] Cолнцезащитные очки оптом [/url] от
www.opticmarket.ru
EEXNZA , FISCHER (GIMADAN SNC Italy). Коллекция 2013 года и стоки с
огронмыми скидккми !
Информация по теме:

Anonymous said...

[color=#d6879c]Хочешь загляни там [/color][url=http://окнаижалюзи.рф/]прикольная инфа навалом.[/url][color=#d6879c] Думаю понравится![/color]

Blog Widget by LinkWithin