Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bye-Bye, Baby Crib

Joe's aunt and uncle might have thought twice about loaning us their baby crib if they had known we would keep it for more than 10 years and fill it with four babies and many memories. Looking at the crib I remember lullabies, bedtime rituals and babies fresh from a bath.

 
At 4, Emma has long since abandoned the baby bed for a big girl bed. For months Joe has reminded me that we need to return the crib, but I have put him off saying I wanted to take pictures of the nursery before it grows up. So recently I re-hung the wispy tulle canopy my babies slumbered dreamily under (until I worried they were old enough to pull it down) -- and photographed the room as it was. And now I can look forward to the big girl room this space can become!

Watching our youngest child outgrow the baby stage has been bittersweet. But although I feel a twinge of sadness in parting with the crib, I take comfort knowing that ...



I can still keep the baby!

"The formative period for building character for eternity is in the nursery. The mother is queen of that realm and sways a scepter more potent than that of kings or priests." -- Author Unknown

14 comments:

Anna Patricia said...

It's so adorable, thank you for sharing these precious photos!

Free Pretty Things For You said...

What a Gorgeous room!
I too im going to feel so sad when i have to take apart my little ariel's crib!
dont want to think aboutit! :(

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful room. It sure doesn't take long for our babies to grow up. I am glad to see that you are savoring every moment of their childhood.

Debbi

P.S. I hope you will post pics of the big girl room.

Lori said...

I kept our baby bed, well my mother-in-law has it in her attic. We need to dust it off and bring it home our next trip home to Louisiana, I think grand-babies are soon in our future. Just hoping, nothing confirmed yet.

Heather L. said...

This is my first time commenting =)

What a beautiful room! My 11 year old daughter had the exact same bedding - what a memory! It is so bittersweet to watch them grow up. I am dreading packing away the crib for good, but it is nice to know that so many wonderful memories lie ahead.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

And what an adorable baby she is! Look at that cute Emma! :-)

The room is beautiful, but what is even more beautiful to me is the depth of love you have for these children, Melissa. That is the true beauty of every single one of your posts. Your heart shines through your words and photographs.

This was a nice way to start the day, but visiting you always is.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Laura said...

What a beautiful bed and room! I would be so sad to be tearing it down, too.

Melissa Lester said...

Heather L., we probably purchased this around the same time because I actually bought it when pregnant with our oldest son, who is now 11! My husband was adamant that we would have one set of crib bedding for all our children, so we purchased this set with a pink sheet and a blue sheet. And all four babies slept peacefully with this bedding.

Live.Love.Eat said...

This is such a beautiful room and bedding. How sweet, and wonderful that you do indeed to keep the child!!!!!

Rach said...

Aw! How bittersweet.

LadyLydia said...

I have a crib from the same circumstances (borrowed) but I still have not had the heart to return it. It has been 35 years since I got it. The people who gave it to me thought it looked better in my house, filled with dolls and teddy bears.

Rennae said...

Such a beautiful crib. It reminds me of one from one of my favorite books, 'Crade and all' by Pamela Scurry. My son is 13 weeks old and in a bassinet, though he is getting longer and will soon outgrow it. I will be sad to put it away but at least I still have the crib part to enjoy. My how time flies....

white baby cribs said...

This is so adorable! I like the crib and the canopy! So lovable.

wooden bed frame said...

This is a stand out! I like the pretty and soft colors of the whole crib.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin