Monday, May 4, 2009

Garden Tea Party

Recently the girls and I visited one of our favorite picnic spots: Southern Homes and Gardens in Montgomery. We had not been back since we visited in the fall, and the grounds look so lovely this spring. Since I planned our picnic in the middle of a busy day, I thought I would delight the girls by offering to pick up Happy Meals. But Mary Ashley insisted that we have a tea party just like last time. She then recited every detail of our menu and decor. So we dashed home to fill our picnic basket with teatime treats.



After all, who could turn down a tea party with these sweet girls? Especially when they are wearing the pillowcase dresses my grandmother and I made during her last visit.



We left the ribbons long for these lined sundresses. A ruffle at the hem gives the dress body, and a monogram adds the finishing detail.



Please come back each day this week as we celebrate the arrival of warm weather with lots of pillowcase dress fun. Wednesday I'll post my grandmother's easy instructions for constructing pillowcase dresses like the ones pictured. But even if you don't sew, be sure to drop in tomorrow. I have a special surprise in store for a little girl in your life!



18 comments:

Nancy said...

During children's church tonight I mentioned to Jenny that I must get the sewing machine out now that she has a baby girl on the way ~ I sewed often for Jenny and now look forward to sewing for Elle ~ and a pillowcase dress will be a great place to begin. So I look forward to the instructions!

Christina said...

every time a read yout blog I get a surprise....these dresses are lovely. Lovely indeed. Yesterday I took out my sewing machines....to make some lovely dresses for my daughters Inge and Britt.
I'll be back again, it has become a part of my daily ritual.

gr. Christina

Ariadone said...

Good morning, Melissa
This early morning I sat out in my garden and read a lovely passage in your book the one about Mary and Martha. From my comment on the beautiful pink dress you made for your daughter you can read that I believe sewing for your children and all the attention and love yoy can put into that plus receive from it: this craft is : sitting at Jesus'feet...
Have a wonderful day
Ariadone
Godeliva

MaryCatherine said...

I have to tell you this...I googled Fancy Nancy party ideas, and I stumbled across your sweet little blog...just lovely! I cannot wait to see your "tute" on Wednesday...I have been wanting to learn how to make a pillowcase dress for my Isabella but never knew how...so exciting!

Ellen said...

I also am anxiously waiting for the pillowcase dress info! The girls' dresses are simple but beautiful! Thanks for helping all us g'mamas out, Melissa!!!! Good to have you back in AL!

julie said...

What sweet pictures! The dresses are beautiful! Cant wait for the tutorial! Thanks!

CK Nethercott aka Mom said...

My daughter made a pillow case skirt (she was 11) but I love the dress idea! Very sweet! Lovely pictures- I need to have a tea party with my girls, it's been too long.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

How cute are they! :)

Heidi said...

I love making pillowcase dresses. Lily has so many and there are so many things to do with them and ways to make them. I finally found a way to make the ribbons not slip :-)

These are beautiful. Can't wait to see more. I love making mine with pantaloons to match!

Graham Shenanigans said...

had to stop painting and come by for my daily inspiration. I, too, love making the pillowcase dresses. I bought some antique-y pillowcases, with delicate pink crochet around the bottom...they are going to make some lovely dresses!!

Sandy Toes said...

I was just getting ready to ask you where you got those sweet little dresses... I guess I will find out tomorrow!
sandy toe

Kara said...

Yes! I would love to learn how to make these adorable dresses.

Joy said...

Such sweet pictures!

Fifi Flowers said...

They are ADORABLE... BEAUTIFUL photos!!!

Tracy said...

Beautiful photos of your girls! I love their dresses. :)

Allidink said...

You just make the prettiest dresses for them. They look so sweet! How nice to have a tea party.

All the best,
Allison

Catharina Maria said...

Lovely sweet girls .
Beautiful photos .
Rini the Netherlands

Alicia said...

Found through French Blue at I must say your daughters are darling!!!!!
Happy Monday!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin