Monday, May 18, 2009

Dinner at the Ballet

Over the weekend we enjoyed one of my favorite springtime events: the girls' ballet recital!



It seems like it was just yesterday that Emma insisted on wearing a tutu to Mary Ashley's ballet class, watching in awe as her big sister swayed and twirled to the music. After class Mary Ashley gave her a private lesson, and Emma's dream of becoming a ballerina was born. After the Christmas recital, she leaped at the opportunity to take the stage for pictures with Mary Ashley. Little did I realize, Emma wanted her own turn to dance! So Emma joined Mary Ashley's class this spring, and we have been anticipating this year's spring recital.

(Thanks, Katy, for editing the above picture of the girls!)



We celebrated the recital with dinner at our house before the show.

A billowy white tablecloth set the stage for dinner at the ballet, and my spring centerpiece took the starring role featuring a bouquet of hydrangeas. A menu of mostly make-ahead dishes like poppy seed chicken and pineapple au gratin allowed us to squeeze in a relaxing sit-down dinner on a very busy day. Serving dinner buffet style and placing desserts on the table before the meal allowed me to leave the table as needed to make final preparations for the recital without stalling dinner for everyone else.

A roll of tulle added frothy touches of pink to the tablescape. Even our footed dessert dishes were on their toes for the evening, with little pink tutus! I tied a tulle bow to each dessert dish, then used the remaining tulle to make a garland to drape around the table. With the last little bit of tulle on the roll, I made a final bow and tucked it into the hydrangeas.

Stuffed with white tulle and tied with ribbon, Emma's new ballet shoes added the final touch of sweetness to the table.



I will be on my toes all week, sharing ideas, photos and highlights from the recital!



19 comments:

E and T said...

Hi Melissa

Your beautiful family are going to have many beauty full memories as you mark every milestone with such a special celebration.

I am so looking forward to visiting again for my daily dose of loveliness and hearing more about the recital.

Elise

Elise said...

Hi,

I love your blog and I can't wait to hear more about your girls' ballet and of course, the pictures !

Good luck to them !

inky said...

How beautiful your blog is.. Your decorating is amazing. I felt your warmth reading about your children's Ballet recital as I am a mom who has been through many dance recitals with my daughter, who is now 27 and a ballet teacher. I am still attending dance recitals , living my ballerina's love and passion through her teaching. ENJOY each moment, each twirl, each skip, they are treasures.!!

Rochelle said...

Hello! I discovered your blog a few weeks ago through a link on a friends page. I love your pictures and ideas! Gorgeous!

Grace at Home said...

Beautiful! Ballet plays a huge part in our own family and this is recital week for us as well. Your post inspired me to make our evenings more elegant. Thank you!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

So lovely, as always! I love that you celebrate every milestone with your family. It strengthens your family bond and your children will always remember these "special" times!

Allidink said...

That is beautiful! You are sooo talented, the table is just so pretty and ballerina perfect :)

All the best,
Allison

Katy said...

Absolutely adorable photos! Lovely tablescape and I adore the recipes! I took a few moments to custom edit the shadowed photo of your girls... it is lovely! Email me at k8t@bellsouth.net and I'll send you the full res copy! (Photographer here who loves helpin out a fellow pic taker when need be!) Hugs and God Bless! ~Katy

Jennifer P. said...

oh my! how can you do that?! go from throwing a very boy-ish birthday party to a totally girly ballet dinner? both of them turned out sooo neat! i just love to come and get lost in your pictures!

Kara said...

You have such a great gift and talent for such things. If the place setting looked half as good in real life as it does in these pictures it would still be beautiful!

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

The table is beautiful! I sort of wish I could go back in time and celebrate all the little things in a grand way like you do!!! You make everything so special!

Laura said...

I can't wait for more posts!! Alise is "celebrating" her recital this week! First rehearsal is tomorrow actually! Happy Dancing!

Online Printing said...

Oh my how sweet! These photos are fantastic! I love their photo together, such a nice one. And what about those hydrangeas, absolutely amazing, a perfect centerpiece. Thanks for sharing such inspiring photos, keep it up! :)

♥ bfs~"Mimi" ♥ said...

Gorgeous darlings and beautiful photography!!! Wish you could speak at Georgetown or Westside churches of Christ!!

Mary Beth said...

You have created so many treasured memories and traditions for your family. I am inspired to make every moment with my family as special as you have with yours. Your attention to detail impresses me beyond comment.
This picture of your girls is so beautiful. Mary Ashley looks like a young Faith Hill and Emma is cute as a button.
Thank you for sharing.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Melissa dear! You have really outdone yourself on this! I am just in awe of this wonderful, WONDERFUL party you created. Just adorable! Hats off to you, my friend, on this creative masterpiece!

xo,

Sheila :-)

Marcie said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

Amy Arnaz said...

Dear Melissa,
I'm going to 100% copy your table decoration ideas for my next ballet dinner! I'm so glad I saw that little link on your blog. What a great idea. What a wonderful way to make "dance recital day" even more special.
You're a genius. xoxo Amy Arnaz

consejo comprar yate said...

Very useful information, thanks so much for the post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin