Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Hydrangeas Are Here

I have been delighted to discover the first blooms on our hydrangeas this summer.

I took 3-year-old Emma outside with me Sunday to collect the blooms, and I couldn't resist taking her picture.

It seems like it was just yesterday that 3-year-old Mary Ashley joined me to admire our hydrangeas.

I gathered our blooms into a pretty bouquet Sunday, and each time I see them I am reminded of an incident that happened last spring. You can find the post "Expecting Blooms" here.


Allidink said...

How beautiful! I love hydrangeas! Especially the blue ones :)

All the best,

Ariadone said...

Good morning Melissa. Christian is forgiven, your words are so selfcorrecting and loving, also to your own soul, beautiful. And indeed never will you forget what occured, nor what you meditated about and what loveliness lies in the future as you described it.
Blooming with many splendoured thought, for those who see and hear.
Thank you
Have a wonderful day in your garden.
Godeliva from Ariadone

E and T said...

Hi Melissa

Expecting blooms is such a wonderful post for any mother to read. Beautiful sentiments. Next time I see Hydrangeas I will be reminded of your post and nurturing my children.


Kristi said...

Hydrangeas are my favorite flower. This is the first year that ours have bloomed out and they are just so elegant. I remember the post about the incident last year! You do so well to bring a lesson from frustration!

Graham Shenanigans said...

Emma's hairbow almost matches the hydrangeas. They are so beautiful, Emma and the flowers, that is!

Someone told me yesterday that if you want red blooms, you can put red construction paper in the soil near the hydreageas and they will bloom red. The same with any other color. Is that true?

Lisa said...

Your hydrangeas are beautiful! I have never been successful in growing them )O: I am so enjoying yours.

Tiffany said...

I love hydrangeas! Beautiful pictures.

Melissa Lester said...

Leigh, I have never heard the red construction paper tip. My mother-in-law has always said that soil acidity determines the color. She has lovely pink, purple and blue hydrangeas. But I am not enough of a gardener to alter the color of ours. I will have to ask her about the construction paper idea.

Graham Shenanigans said...

I made the lemon cheese bars this morning but I only had an 9 x 13 pan and I guess I didn't cook them long enough but oh, my gosh, they are good.

I have done this same thing using a butter cake recipe and it was delicious as well.

Happy @ Home said...

Your hydrangeas are beautiful. They are always such a welcome sight. Your last photo with the teapot and lemon squares is gorgeous and magazine worthy!! I scrolled back for the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Anita said...

Your flowers are beautiful....and especially the little blond ones. Hydrangeas are one of my favorites and remind me of my Grandmother...she had the largest one I have ever seen and she tended it lovingly every year.

Love Being a Nonny said...

Hydrangeas are my favorite flowers!!! My daughter used them in her wedding. She used fresh in her bouquets and dried on the tables. They were also blue and beautiful!!!

Your Emma and Mary Ashley are so precious!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, you have beautiful flowers in the garden and in those two precious little girls! What beautiful girls they are in their cute smocked dresses and bright blue hairbows!

Sending much love to you and to them. Love your blue china with your vase of hydreangeas on the pretty cloth!


Sheila :-)

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Our hydrangeas are gorgeous this year also. Must be all of the rain!

Heidi said...

Stunning pictures of Emma & hydrangeas. One of my very favorite blooms... Love them & wish I had some!

Melanie said...

Hello my Friend!

I hope you are enjoying your summer and your beautiful hydrangeas... one of my all time favorites!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin