Monday, June 1, 2009

Lemon Cheese Squares

At my recent ladies day in Newnan, Ga., I enjoyed meeting Martha Sue McCain, who operated a tea room in Newnan for many years. I was delighted to receive a signed copy of her cookbook Favorite Recipes from Something Special and Friends. Over the weekend I tried her recipe for lemon cheese squares -- the perfect accompaniment for a cup of tea, a leisurely summer afternoon and a new cookbook.

Lemon Cheese Squares

These freeze well, so I plan to save some for an upcoming tea party.

1 box Pillsbury Plus lemon cake mix
1 stick margarine, melted
1 egg

Mix in mixer and press into greased sheet cake pan (10 1/2" x 15 1/2"). In the same bowl, mix:

3 eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
2 tablespoons lemon flavoring
1 pound box powdered sugar

Mix well and pour over the above layer. This mixture will be soupy. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cut into squares immediately while still hot, then let cool.

Let me know if you are interested in ordering a copy of Favorite Recipes from Something Special and Friends, and I will put you in touch with Martha Sue McCain.


E and T said...

Hi Melissa

Looks like a perfect afternoon tea.
The cookbook sounds like it would be filled with delightful recipes.

I also enjoy visiting tea houses, the whole experience brings me joy - the table settings, usually complete with fragrant flowers; the beautifully presented food, the elegant surroundings and being at a tea house also means I am spending some special times with family or friends.


Sandy Toes said...

Oh..these look wonderful!!!
sandy toe

Vanessa said...

I can't wait to try these lemon cheese squares. There is nothing better than lemony desserts on a hot summer evening!

Mommy2Twins said...

I am a sucker for cookbooks. Please let me know, so I can order one.

Chloe said...

beautiful- these sound and look amazing!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Ooooh, these sound really good, Melissa!


Sheila :-)

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Those look and sound so good!!! Your photos are breathtaking! Blue and favorite!

Jennie Bender said...

Enjoyed your blog today=)

Allidink said...

Gasp! I love lemon :) Thanks for the recipe!

All the best,

Mary said...

I would love to order a copy of the cookbook. I love anything with Lemon.
I also would LOVE to know how, if your willing to share your secrets :) you grouped your pictures together? I just love the technique. Also what kind of camera do you use? Your photos are always so bold, clear and just plain stunning!
I thoroughly enjoy your blog. I am inspired each time I visit. I also just purchased your book from Amazon. I can't wait to receive it!
Blessings to you and yours!

Tracy P. said...

Melissa, I am going to try these lemon squares tomorrow. I'm glad you mentioned they freeze well, since I am giving a shower next week and really need to do some advance planning. Now all I have to do is find some space in my freezer! :-)

I just browsed through your GA trip. What fun! We make fairly frequent visits to GA since my in-laws live there, but they live in Albany, which isn't very conducive to visits elsewhere. Callaway Gardens is one of our favorite detours.

Your family is so good-natured about your picture taking. That is a blessing. Mine is too.

Nantucket Karen said...

I'm about to make these DEVINE looking Lemon Squares; just wondering if the "lemon flavoring" is the same thing as "Lemon Extract"??
Thank you!!
I'd love to order that cookbook too:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin