Monday, June 1, 2009

Lemon Cheese Squares

At my recent ladies day in Newnan, Ga., I enjoyed meeting Martha Sue McCain, who operated a tea room in Newnan for many years. I was delighted to receive a signed copy of her cookbook Favorite Recipes from Something Special and Friends. Over the weekend I tried her recipe for lemon cheese squares -- the perfect accompaniment for a cup of tea, a leisurely summer afternoon and a new cookbook.

Lemon Cheese Squares

These freeze well, so I plan to save some for an upcoming tea party.

1 box Pillsbury Plus lemon cake mix
1 stick margarine, melted
1 egg

Mix in mixer and press into greased sheet cake pan (10 1/2" x 15 1/2"). In the same bowl, mix:

3 eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
2 tablespoons lemon flavoring
1 pound box powdered sugar

Mix well and pour over the above layer. This mixture will be soupy. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cut into squares immediately while still hot, then let cool.

Let me know if you are interested in ordering a copy of Favorite Recipes from Something Special and Friends, and I will put you in touch with Martha Sue McCain.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin