Friday, June 5, 2009

Up, "Up" and a Cupcake!

Mary Ashley's balloons pop -- but she's still smiling -- thanks to photographer Becky McCoy.

If you need a lift this week, I suggest you see the new Pixar movie Up. I took the children this week, and we loved it! There were a few scenes that scared 3-year-old Emma, but overall I was very pleased. Entertainment Weekly movie critic Lisa Schwarzbaum opined, "As buoyant and richly tinted as the balloons that figure so prominently in its story, Up is also thoroughly grounded in real emotion and ideas of substance. ... The result is a lovely, thoughtful, and yes, uplifting adventure (in 3-D where available) about an old guy, a kid, and a house that sails through the air, opening up new routes in life to people who thought they were stuck in their loneliness."

I would echo that sentiment. And add that it made me want to make cupcakes. So I did!

Photographed outside on a mirrored tray, my balloon cupcakes look like they are floating in mid-air as the camera catches the reflection of the sky. They must be very light -- even downright healthy.


You don't have to travel to Paradise Falls for these cupcakes. Make them by placing thin lengths of ribbon and rickrack atop cupcakes before frosting with a star tip. Cluster the balloon cupcakes on a serving dish, gathering the ribbons to make a balloon cupcake bouquet.



You just can't help but feel lighthearted when surrounded by balloons!

Hang them from the kitchen chandelier to make any meal a party; surprise a birthday boy or girl with a bouquet tied to the bed; or make a rainy day fun by blowing up a few balloons and letting children bat them around, trying not to let them touch the ground. (Keeping several aloft at the same time always results in lots of laughter!)

Whether you take in a movie, indulge in a cupcake, or share some giggles with someone you love, I hope your weekend is looking up!

18 comments:

Elise said...

Fantastic idea ! Thank you.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Very clever, Melissa! Thanks for all of the info in the post. :-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jan's Blog said...

This is so darling, and so easy. I know Darien would enjoy this. Thanks so much for sharing the idea.

Homeschool Dawn said...

Melissa, you are just too clever. I can't wait to do this for my boys. Thanks for sharing the idea.

sweeter and the bubbas said...

Those are PRECIOUS! What a great idea. Only you, the most creative gal EV-ER, would think of making balloon cupcakes from a movie.
:-) We need to get together soon.

LeeAnne said...

Very cool idea to use the mirrored tray ... in just glancing at the photos, I was thinking, "How in the world did she get those cupcakes in the air?" :) I'm glad to read your positive movie review; we are planning to see "Up" this weekend as a family!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Very cute stuff!!!!! We may see that movie this weekend....

julie said...

Love this post!!! We are planning to see the movie and what a way to end the day! Thanks!

Allidink said...

That is very cute! The photos look great they totally look like they're floating LOL.

All the best,
Allison

Becky said...

Your cupcakes are super cute! Loved seeing my name on someone elses blog. That was loads of fun! I have heard great things about that movie...we may just have to go see it!

Nancy said...

I want to see that movie and what a cute idea!!!

♥ bfs~"Mimi" ♥ said...

Love how everything in your first shot was b/w except for the balloons! Really pops! (no pun intended) Maybe I should say, really jumps out at you!

Anonymous said...

I agree that UP is a wonderful movie for the family - My girl loved it and thought that it was sad at one point, but lifted the heart with the talking dogs.

Your photos and storylines are fantastic - You are a wonderwoman, at best - thanks for sharing your lovely ideas with us -
Quite enchanting blog you have!

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

FAB idea!! How scary are the scary parts? We are always looking for movies to take our 4 year old to!

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

Thank you for your "Up" review for little ones -- it is truly helpful!! Thanks also for your kind words -- I love your photos as well, I can't wait to make the chicken recipe below!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I found your blog through Mrs. Sherman's...and am SOO delighted to see what beautiful, uplifting postings you have. I was also delighted to find someone in Wetumpka; my sister and her older daughter, my niece, and her family live there. Thank you for sharing! Kathleen in IL (ladylovesred49@aol.com).

parTea lady said...

Very cute idea with the cupcake baloons (great photos). Thanks for the movie review too.

www.murcia-3d.com said...

Thanks for the article, very effective information.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin