Monday, June 15, 2009

The Tea Room in Savannah

A highlight of our recent trip to Savannah was a visit to The Tea Room.

In his book The Great Tea Rooms of America, Bruce Richardson enthused, "If ever there was an American city that was a perfect location for the enjoyment of afternoon tea, it is the beautiful coastal town of Savannah, Georgia. Hospitality, landscape and architecture all come together in this historic setting to serve as the backdrop for one of the South's finest tea presentations." We dined in the library dining room, pictured above.

I enjoyed my tea selection, Brinns Cup, so much that I purchased some loose tea to carry home with me.

The dainty treats offered for afternoon tea were even more enjoyable for me because The Tea Room was so welcoming to my children.

Our table was beautifully set with a white linen tablecloth, fresh flowers and pretty china, but our server brought crayons as soon as we arrived. She had placed white paper over the tabletop and encouraged the children to draw on it. The children happily began working on teatime masterpieces, and soon after our waitress returned with fresh fruit. Throughout our meal, the tearoom staff was attentive and friendly. But I appreciate most of all their hospitable attitude toward the children. Thanks to their warm welcome, we were all able to savor teatime together in an atmosphere that was elegant and refined, yet relaxed and friendly.

Carson's rendering of our tea table -- on our tea table -- was suitable for framing.

The front of the tea room offers an array of gifts and an ample selection of loose teas. (You can see autographed copies of The Great Tea Rooms of America in the lower right corner of this photo.)

I am so thankful we had the opportunity to visit The Tea Room, where southern hospitality is always on the menu!


Allidink said...

How fabulous! I can only imagine that it was the nicest tea room ever! How great that they were so friendly :) Crayons at a tea room is awesome! LOL.

All the best,

Ariadone said...

Good morning Melissa,....lovely memory-making and let me tell you, it is because you have such a sweet eye for such environment and that your children are well-mannered. Thank you for sharing.
Have a wonderful day.

E and T said...

Hi Melissa

What a cosy, yet elegant tea room. The staff sure know what they are doing when they also include children and make them feel so welcome.

Visiting tea rooms is one of my favourite things to do.

I just came over from this blog, and the post titled: "A Victorian tea Party", which reminded me of you.


Feedsack Fantasy said...

Everything about Savannah is warm, welcoming & wonderful. Love tea rooms ... TTFN ~ Marydon

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Melissa - I haven't been commenting on your trip, but reading every're killing me with all this. :) How fun - a tea room? My dream, but honestly, any of your parties are even more beautiful.

My friend from church just bought a beautiful tea room and I am living through her. I am going to plan a NC blogger meet up there and can't wait to show off her new place for her.

kykathy said...

I am impressed with Carson's talent! You are right, that is suitable for framing! I couldn't have left that behind!
I've only been to Savannah once, many years ago, it is a beautiful and historic city!

Grace at Home said...

This is a nice tea room. My sister lives in Savannah and she hosted my girls and me recently and we had the same lovely experience as you. If you ever find yourself in Charleston, we'll be happy to take you out for tea here! :)

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh I adore the tea room! Thanks for the memories!

Workin' MAMA! said...

Melissa - What a great photo and story of your time spent with your family at the tea room in Savannah... Your son Carsons drawings are extraordinary and creative! He cert My family especially loved the tea room at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC - Its majestic castle-like features are very 'British Royalty' -
We love it there and have plans to back! We are so glad we had that cool experience! If you haven't been, they're waiting for you!

Leah said...

We spent our first anniversary in Savannah and I want to go back! Carson's drawing was great! He's quite the artist!

parTea lady said...

This is one of my favorite tea rooms and I have enjoyed your photos and reading your post.

On my last visit I had the pleasure of meeting Bruce and Shelley Richardson. They were at the tea room doing a photo shoot for his updated book (Great Tea Rooms of America).

Another visit was the week of Valentine's Day. The tea tray was fabulous and loaded with lots of fresh orchid blossoms.

Carson's artwork is great. He needs a travel sketchbook for sure.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

My friend and our daughters enjoyed lunch at The Tea Room in Savannah last year when we took a spa weekend. We had a wonderful time!

glenna said...

I love Savannah. I bet you had a wonderful time in the Tea Room.

Marissa Fernandez said...

My friend and our daughters enjoyed lunch at The Tea Room in Savannah last year when we took a spa weekend. We had a wonderful time!

Nancy said...

We did not have a good experience at the Tea Room. They messed up our reservation. Had to wait for full afternoon tea. They forgot items. Left my camera there and 'no one found it'. We will not be going back there or recommend it to others on vacation in Savannah.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin