Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Make Ribbon-Embellished Flip-Flops

Decorated flip-flops made perfect party favors for our poolside tea party.

Butterfly flip-flops purchased at Wal-Mart for $2.50 a pair got a makeover for the first official day of summer. Because I used hot glue to make these, I decorated them before the party rather than letting the little ones help me with the project. The girls were excited to find a pair at each place and enjoyed modeling them during the evening.

I used a variety of grosgrain ribbons for this project, including narrow polka dotted ribbons in soft shades of pink and turquoise. A 5-yard roll of 3/8-inch ribbon should give you enough ribbon to wrap the soles and straps for a smaller size pair. Wider coordinating ribbon formed the bows. Mixing and matching ribbons made for cute combinations, resulting in a unique pair for each girl.

To begin, run a bead of hot glue around the sole, pressing a length of ribbon into place as you go. The next step is to wind ribbon around the straps. This step took me about 10 minutes per shoe. Start by applying a drop of hot glue to the underside of the strap. Press the end of the ribbon into the glue and wind the ribbon around one time. Then apply glue a little at a time across the strap, winding the ribbon tightly around the strap as you go. Slightly overlap the ribbon as you go so the strap will be covered completely. Be careful of your fingers during this process, and keep a glass of cold water nearby in case you get burned by the hot glue. For the final step, glue a bow to the top of the flip-flop, finishing the streamer edges with a no-fray solution.

9 comments:

Elise said...

Thank you Melissa.

How can we ever hope to keep up with you ?

I imagine you to have a massive room (or two) in your house full to bursting with craft things, just waiting for the right moment to be used !

Well done on another brilliant party - I just don't know how you find time to post as well !! But very glad that you do.

Mamaw Leffew said...

Thank you so much for sharing your blog! It is one of my favorites as I love to cook, entertain and create. I'm heading to Wal-mart to buy some flip flops for my small granddaughter. Thanks again for all the beautiful ideas!

Wendy said...

Cute flops! If you don;t have a no-fray solution for the tails of the bows, you can always just use a lighter to heat seal them. Work great and can be redone at anytime the tails start to look ragged.

I agree with the above comment about your craft supply room. Please show a picture of all of your goodies!

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

Love it!!!!!!!

Chigger Hill Cottage said...

These are precious! My gran-daughter would love them, that's all she wears is flip flops! I'll have to send my daugter to your page! Nice seeing someone from Alabama!

Melissa Lester said...

Elise and Wendy, I only wish I had a dedicated craft space! I have a small closet under the stairs that is full to bursting with supplies, but when I craft or sew my projects take over the dining room. This is not ideal, but we have to make the most of whatever space we have.

A Touch of Country said...

great idea to kick off the summer season. I love these flipflops!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

These are cute as can be, Melissa! And I think I might even be able to make some, though my craft skills are sadly deficient.

Got a lot done today toward getting the mess fixed in the yard. Am taking a break from the heat. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. You're the best!

Big hugs...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Aimee said...

Hi, I have been rying to make flip-flops with the ribbon..I did a pair with just a bow and it fell off. I used hot glue. Can you tell me how you put ribbon on the straps please and what glue you have used? Thanks...I just love your page..aimeemduplessis@gmail.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin