Friday, June 4, 2010

Baby Gender Reveal Party



Our family has faced many health challenges lately, and we have all needed to focus on something positive. My sister, Jennifer, is expecting a baby in July, and this little one has given us cause to celebrate. I love the new trend toward gender reveal parties and was thrilled when Jennifer agreed to share her happy news with the family at our house over the weekend.



Pink roses, blue hydrangeas and white gardenias set a lovely and fragrant table. Teacups full of flowers served as place markers, with white doily tags announcing each guest.



When 8-year-old Christian saw our dining room table, he surmised that Aunt Jennifer must be having a girl because boys don't like flowers. I assured him that this party was for Aunt Jennifer and mommies love flowers. Over lunch, we encouraged everyone to share their gender predictions. The girls voted "girl" and the boys voted "boy."



Left to right, me, Jennifer and my grandmother.



I didn't tell the children how the surprise would be revealed for fear that someone would peak, but the two-tier cake that served as our centerpiece during the meal held the secret.



I found "It's a boy" and "It's a girl" charms at Michaels and tied the appropriate charms to pink and blue ribbons. Before lunch I tucked the charms into the flowers on top of the cake, and the ribbons looked so pretty cascading down the cake.




After lunch we let all the children grab a ribbon. Family members who could not make it down for lunch waited on the phone to hear the children announce the joyous news.

It's a ...



My 9-year-old nephew, David, was ecstatic to learn that he will have a little brother! This baby will be my parents' eighth grandchild, bringing the count to four boys and four girls.



With the exciting news revealed, it was time to cut the cake. To carry the pink-and-blue theme into the cake, I baked pink and blue layers and cut them in half horizontally to give each tier four layers of pink and blue. The pink layers were strawberry cake, and the blue layers were white cake tinted with blue food coloring.



Since I was in on the secret -- a perk of being the party planner -- I surprised Jennifer with a baby gift after the reveal. All the guests kept a charm -- perfect to tuck in a scrapbook, add to a bracelet, or use as a bookmark. And I encouraged Jennifer to keep the pink and blue floral teacup at her place.



My parents were not able to attend the party because of my mother's health issues, so we visited them the next day. Jennifer let Mother open a package revealing her baby's name:

Jonathan Page Driver 

I am so relieved that I can talk about Jonathan now! I was so afraid I would accidentally reveal the gender before the party that I felt I could not talk much about him. But now I can ask for prayers for my nephew-to-be, who has growths in his lungs. Although Jennifer's doctors have differing opinions on what they are, they all agree that the growths will probably need to be removed surgically after birth. We pray that Jonathan will be healthy and strong -- a beautiful blessing who has already brought so much joy to our family!


"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on." -- Carl Sandburg

I'm linking this post to Show and Tell Friday at Cindy's Romantic Home.

30 comments:

Rennae said...

This all looks so beautiful. I was blessed to give birth to a healthy baby boy three months ago so my prayers are with you, Jennifer and your families. May Jonathon be born strong and heathy.

Free Pretty Things For You said...

oh my goodness! what a WONDERFUL party idea!! it turned out Beautiful!!but then again.. you always host the most wonderful parties!! i really do look up to you :)

Preppy Mama said...

How sweet! I love the whole idea of the party. Lovely!!

Homeschool Dawn said...

What a beautiful party and sweet idea. You are a sweet sister.

We will pray for baby Jonathan.

kristy said...

Hey,
I found your blog through my Lipscomb friend Christine D. I have now added your blog to my list and I always look forward to reading it. I was excited to see your post today when I saw Jennifer. We know the Drivers from Woodmont. Small world!

Kristy

Jan's Blog said...

You are the master. I know that this sounds silly, but you could do a television show, or get rich hiring out. But, I do love that you use your many talents for family and friends, and that you share so we cen create a our own little version of your events...at our skill levels, which pale in comparison.

I think this must be the year of the boy. I know several ladies that added little boys to their families recently, and my two nieces are both expecting boys in August. Thank heaven for our Lauren who is having a girl next month. Helps us all get our pink fix!

Damaris said...

This is just BEAUTIFUL!! What a WONDERFUL SURPRISE!! I loved the whole idea. Your attention to detail was just AMAZING!! And what a touching story!! Babies are a TRUE BLESSING FROM GOD!! XXOO, Damaris

Anna said...

What a delightful way to reveal the gender of the precious baby. I loved the cake and the ribbons. Absolutely beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, You did it again! It was a gorgeous party and a lot of fun for your family.

While I was looking at your pictures and reading your post, I couldn't help but think how blessed you are with this beautiful talent. You are also very blessed with a beautiful family and friends.....but I know that you already know this.

Lots of people nowadays do not have that close family bond. I always think it's not like it used to be. It takes work to keep a family close and people are just too busy to put out the effort....but not you!
You have certainly done a good job.

I will pray for this new little baby boy and his mama.

Debbi

Valerie said...

Everything looked beautiful!

Since this is our last baby, we too did a gender reveal party for our dear friends...our family lives out of state so we revealed earlier in the week!

Cutting into the cake is such a fun way to share with others, but I love your "charm" idea! I felt only a bit bad that our guests had to eat "blue" cake! LOL

Will certainly keep Jonathan in my thoughts and prayers these coming weeks! Can't wait until you announce his delivery!

Valerie

Imjustagirl said...

How fun!! we will be saying extra prayers for baby Jonathan to be born healthy and strong!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet, sweet party! I love your presentation and all the fabulous ideas.

I pray that baby Jonathan is born happy, healthy and strong.............please know that I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.


Have a wonderful weekend,

Debra
Baton Rouge, LA

julie said...

congrats melissa! how exciting! your sweet family has indured alot lately! i will say a prayer for baby jonathan!

GWENDOLYN said...

I have never heard of a gender party. What fun! Your pictures from the partly are lovely. That cake looks so yummo;
Blessings
Gwen

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

How beautifyl, congrats!! I would love for you to visit my blog. I have a Giveaway from CSN for $ 40 dollars!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

What a wonderful family celebration! The kids look so cute pulling out the charms. Prayers for your mom, nephew and your family.

Sue Sparks said...

What a great idea for a party! The cake is beautiful and the table is GORGEOUS!
I love they way the gender was revealed...the charm on a ribbon, pulled from the cake-LOVE IT!

littlemisspotato said...

This is such a beautiful post. :D

kimberly shaw said...

So wonderful to stop by for a visit and learn the good news. Congratulations! Your table is gorgeous and the children are so cute. It's great to see them share in the blessing.

Jennifer Driver said...

This was a wonderful party and I am so thankful my talented sister helped me share our exciting news with our family. I sincerely appreciate all of the prayers for baby Jonathan!

Jennifer (Melissa's sister)

Amelia said...

What a wonderful reveal!!! Such sweet memories those children will have - hopefully they'll tell Jonathan all about it one day! ;)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

A very sweet reveal! Prayers for the rest of your sister's pregnancy and for good reports of Jonathan's birth and health.

Blessings & Aloha!

Mary Beth said...

I've said it a thousand times in your comments in some fashion or another, but I truly mean it..... the people in your life are so blessed to have you there. Your attention to the details of your loved one's lives is so amazing. You make everyone feel so special and loved. What a great way to celebrate having a baby boy.
I will be praying for your nephew and your sister. I know God will take special care of your family and hold you all in the palms of his healing hands.

Jolene said...

Oh how fun! We just found out we are expecting our fourth baby, and this is the first time I have ever heard of anything like this... sounds like such a great idea!

Jolene said...

By the way, looooove, the girls' monogrammed dresses!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

I'm inspired by this teacup/place card idea. Very cool!

Warmly, Michelle

angela said...

I love your blog-you are so inspiring and I love your style. What a fabluous party and such a special event!

I'm wondering if you can tell me what the china pattern is? I collect tea cups and have a cup that is similar and want to know what your pattern is. It is very pretty.

Thanks so much for sharing your life!

Angela

Rennae said...

Hi Melissa, I know this post is older now, but I was just rereading it and this may sound a little unusual but, I noticed in one of the photos a reflection of a painting of a girl in a blue dress. Years ago while shopping a came across a print of this, I noted the name of it to be 'The D├ębutante' but since I have not been able to find in anywhere. Are you able to give me any more information on this? Thanks in advance.

www.teresaestevez.com said...

To my mind every person have to read it.

Anonymous said...

What i don't realize is in truth how you're now not actually much more well-liked than you may be right now.
You're so intelligent. You recognize thus significantly in the case of this subject, produced me personally imagine it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be fascinated except
it's one thing to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. At all times take care of it up!

Here is my homepage; registry cleaner
My website :: registry cleaner Review

Blog Widget by LinkWithin