Monday, June 28, 2010

Red, White and Blue Table



I'm not sure how I will feel by the Fourth of July, but I'm hoping I'll be up to entertaining family. Just in case I'm still recovering, I celebrated the holiday early with a cookout by the pool with Joe and the children. A menu of grilled chicken, spinach salad, bowtie pasta toss, garlic bread and strawberry swirl ice cream with sweetened berries was a great way to celebrate summer -- as well as give Carson and Christian a proper send-off for a week at church camp.



Hydrangeas from our yard made a lovely centerpiece for dinner by the pool, and tableware from the Better Homes and Gardens collection at Wal-Mart set a festive table. I couldn't decide which combination of plates I liked best, so bought three red and three blue of each piece. I would like to have a complete set of each color -- or at least the blue. While I'm recuperating and Joe is doing our shopping, I wonder if he would complete our collection if I add these items to our grocery list? Or perhaps I'd better focus on getting better so I can purchase these "grocery staples" myself.

Tomorrow, the recipe for our refreshing summer pasta!

13 comments:

Rach said...

Very pretty table and yummy menu. Hope you are feeling up for celebrating on the 4th.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, what a wonderful patriotic table, and I love that you did it with hydrangeas and with dishes that are so unique... love the floral plates. It it adorable!

Hope you are feeling better. Thinking of you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Vonda said...

What a beautiful table! I hope the boys are having a wonderful week at camp and that you are getting some good rest! Love you friend!

Anonymous said...

Your red, white and blue table is beautiful. I saw those plates at Wal-Mart and on another blog. I am pondering getting some for myself.

I will be anxious to see your recipes tomorrow.

Good for Joe helping you out. Hope the boys have fun at camp and I know you and the girls will do lots of fun "girly" things but take it easy and don't overdo it.

Debbi

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

You've created a beautiful red white and blue tablescape. I hope that you'll feel star spangled for the 4th!

Graciously Southern said...

I LOVE these plates they just make me happy every time I look at them...so Festive :) I bought four of the red ones recently but haven't seen the blue ones at our Walmart. That would be fabulous! Beautiful table Melissa! Hope you feel better soon.

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

Adorable table! I hope you are feeling better to celebrate on Sunday!

Nancy said...

so pretty! looking forward to the recipes! yum!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

I'd say this is A LOT OF LOVELINESS! What a beautiful table!

Warmly,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same surgery with complete success. In fact, I was feeling so great, that I bent down to pick up a piece of lint from the floor and reruptured the disk. My second surgery was completed 5 weeks after the first one. My reason for sharing is to say, please take it easy and allow time for complete healing. After the second surgery, I began walking on the treadmill very slowly for a few minutes at a time and gradually added on to this. It has been nine years now and I have been completely free of pain. Best wishes on your recovery.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

A very beautiful and fitting Fourth of July tablescape. Hope that you feel better and better each day.

Blessings & Aloha!

Rachel said...

You are amazing! (I found your blog while trying to find sample vintage borders for my daughters first birthday party invitations.) Thank you for sharing with us your amazing gifts and talents. I don't how you find the time! I hope your surgery went well and you recover quickly.

Sarah said...

This post popped up below today's post so I had to pop over to see this red, white, and blue table. Glad I did! This is wonderful inspiration...........Sarah

Blog Widget by LinkWithin