Monday, June 14, 2010

A Weekend of Prayer



This has been an emotionally draining weekend for our family, as urgent needs have torn at our hearts. All weekend we have prayed for the precious 5-year-old girl pictured above, Lily Murphy of Montgomery, Ala. Lily was airlifted to Birmingham Children's Hospital after a near drowning accident Friday. I met Lily's mom, Heidi, at a bloggers lunch awhile back and have enjoyed getting to know her. I run into the Murphys around town, and once had the opportunity to read to Lily when she climbed into my lap with a stack of books at Books-a-Million. What a precious little girl she is! You can follow Lily's progress on Facebook at "Praying for Lily Murphy!!" People from all over have joined hearts to pray for this little girl, and her condition has improved dramatically. Thank you, Lord, for that!

Also heavy on my heart has been my mother, Sharon Prichard's, condition. She will be receiving her fourth stem cell transplant tomorrow. Yesterday we were alarmed to learn she had been moved to the surgical ICU and put on a ventilator due to severe breathing difficulties. We feared the worst, but were relieved when her oncologist determined she had experienced an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. Since changing medications, her condition has stabilized and she was able to receive the chemotherapy she needed today in preparation for tomorrow's transplant. Please pray for my mother as she faces the next few weeks of treatment.

I am also requesting prayers as in the midst of all this I am preparing for back surgery Wednesday. I am hopeful that this will be successful in alleviating the lower back -- and within the past year, right leg -- pain that has plagued me these last few years.

Even with the heartaches we have experienced this weekend, there have also been many blessings. After church yesterday, we stopped by Fresh Market before heading home. Six-year-old Mary Ashley was delighted when I agreed to let her try a sample of flavored coffee. As she stirred cream and sugar into her little cup, she smiled and said definitively, "Best day ever."

"Really?" I asked, eyes still tear-stained from wrestling with the decision to go ahead with my surgery or postpone it to join my mother for her transplant.

"Oh, yes," she insisted. "Getting to drink coffee and get a free cookie -- best day ever.
Getting to eat lunch with Mommy and Daddy -- best day ever.
Getting a sucker, too --
Best. Day. Ever."

Join me this week as I share some of the beautiful moments we shared last week during a trip to the beach -- blessed memories from the best God ever.

Photo by Lori Mercer

19 comments:

A. Smith said...

Oh my goodness you are dealing with so much - I'm prayer for Lily, your Mother and yourself to all recover very quickly with the utmost amount of comfort.

onedayinmyworld said...

Hello Melissa,

I am praying for you. Eddie has his back surgery tomorrow. We are a bit nervous but eager to possibly have relief from the pain. His right leg is affected also and the epidurals were not able to really help. Surgeon said we could not put it off any longer. I will be in constant prayer for you. I have dealt with chronic pain for a while and know that it is extra rough on hurting moms. Praying that Wednesday will bring you much-needed relief!!!!

Ree Clark from Univ. Church of Christ

The sewing room said...

What a lovely family you have and so much heartache at the moment you are in my prayers and l hope everything turns out fine for all of you.

Prayers and hugs Pat

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, I pray in Jesus name that you and your family and friends will be covered with a blanket of peace and that each of you will be completely healed. I pray in His name for skill for the surgeons, that their hands and their thoughts be directed by God and for compassion and the wisdom of the Holy Spirit for all of the medical staff. I pray in His name for strength to your bodies and a rapid recovery. And I thank the Lord for all of His many blessings, especially you. In Jesus Name and for his sake, Amen.

Thinking of you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rach said...

Wow, thats a lot to take on all at once. Praying for you.

Mary Ashley is so cute. Your stories always bring a smile to my face.

Vonda said...

My heart is breaking for you this morning. You are dealing with so much! I'm on my knees for you, your family and for precious Lily. I hope you have a "Best Day Ever" very soon!!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Melissa, It is such a comfort to know how to go to the throne of Grace! I have prayed for Lily and your mother.
And I am praying for you! May God grant you total healing and a reason to praise Him through this difficult time.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, Melissa, to hear about all the "stuff" you are dealing with this week. My husband has had several back successful back surgeries and found instant relief. I pray that this will be your case.

I will say some extra prayers for your mama. Bless her heart!

Take care and follow the Dr. instructions.

Debbi

Sonja said...

I'm praying for you and with you right now as I'm reading this Melissa. This is one of those times where you just put one foot in front of the other and trust that He is hearing and answering those prayers.

Blessings!

Sonja

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I pray for you wisdom, strength, courage, and healing (and for your mom and the precious little girl).

We've been going through health challenges here and it affects every part of life.

Jan's Blog said...

Sending out love and prayers for Lily, your mother and you, each in accordance with their need. I know you will be blessed with the ability to see, feel, and hear all those prayers being anwsered.

Having gone through Chemo I can only say that there are blessings that are going to be rained down on you...listen for them, feel them.

Another blog I love, where they lost their daughter two years ago at age two, has a line from an inspiration sent to the father that he described as having heard in his head, and it was this, "I am God, I am in charge, and nothing is going to happen here that shouldn't". He knows. And He lets us know when it's time!

Jan said...

In the midst of heartache and worry, the words of a child can still bring such sweet smiles! Blessings to you, your family, and your friends during these week as each of you travel difficult paths.

Anonymous said...

ooh Melissa I am so sorry to hear this news. I will be keeping YOU, YOUR FAMILY and this SWEET child in my thoughts and prayers.

Please, if possible, keep up updated on everyones condition.

Have a lovely day,

Debra
Baton Rouge, LA

Jen said...

Prayers being said...

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you, your mother, and Lily. Hope both procedures are successful, and that Lilly will be back to new soon! My mother has been suffering with unbelieveable pain with her back and pain radiating from her hip to her knee; I ask your prayers on her behalf as well.She is going to an upper-cervical chiropractor which has been helping some. You might want to visit nucca.org and ucrf.org to see if this could help you.
Deana Brannan

simplyniki said...

Prayer is powerful! Standing in agreement with you for Lily and your mother...peace, discernment, and protection for your surgery as well.

Cheri said...

Melissa, are you having a laminectomy/discectomy? What level? Mine was at L5-S1 and as you know, had the leg involvement. I will pray mightily that this will relieve your pain.

If I can give you one huge piece of advice: After surgery and while healing, every moment you can think of it, rotate both feet in circles, then right, then left (or vice versa). Just keep rotating your feet/ankles. This will keep your nerves up your legs and buttock moving, and won't allow scar tissue to form, causing the issues I suffer from.

Please do keep us posted.

hilary said...

I pray that God will give you peace during this storm and healing.

Sweet Tea said...

I will lift you up in prayer. My father suffers from horrible neck, back, and leg pain. I wish he would have surgery. Also, I am going to be in prayer for your mother, as well as the little girl who nearly drowned.

I love to read your "lovely" blog.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin